Wednesday, July 23, 2014

empathy and teaching

     I recently read a quote that declared empathy "an act of imagination," and a necessary skill to produce great creative writing; imagining oneself as another person in a given scenario. I would also add that empathy, and therefore imagination, is key to being a great teacher. If a teacher can imagine him or herself as that child or teenager they are trying to reach, I think it is much easier to connect and to figure out the words and methods that will reach that particular student. Imagine yourself as a 10 year old who is smart, hyper active, lives in a fairy land, and imagines herself as the center of the universe. Imagine yourself as a 13year old terrified of the ultimate disgrace: being uncool in middle school. Imagine yourself as an 18 year old who is responsible beyond her years, with the ability to shoot daggers out of her eyes, with absolutely no qualms about making a fuss about getting her way. In someways, we've all been each of these kids at one point or another.
If I can see myself in every student, I can reach every student.

No comments:

Post a Comment