Thursday, September 24, 2009

Inflection

I realize when I chat in gmail or Facebook I make a great deal of effort to show inflection so as to improve communication. But I think, after a moment of introspection, it's more than that for me. I am something of a musical speaker, and I just wouldn't get the Dorian-ness across by saying, "I don't understand," or even "I don't understand!." It has to be, "I don't underSTAND!!" because in person, I would place heavy emphasis on the last syllable of that word in order to emit the exaggerated sentiment of frustration. But, the exaggerated sentiment is sort of a joke, and most likely a joke that very, very few people get. To explain: I'm not really that frustrated over something like my gmail not functioning properly for a few hours in the day. Seriously, life is too short to get that upset about it.
Anyway, in this texting-messaging world, I think learning how to convey inflection is an important skill. Part of the reason--the main reason--I hate texting conversations is that there is too much room for interpretation. We have to power to affect perception! Let's not give this up because of laziness. Let's be clear.

No comments:

Post a Comment