Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Luna Bar Morning

My response to eating a Luna bar for breakfast is two-fold: On one hand, I'm very proud of myself to be starting the day in such a responsible, health-nut way. On the other hand, I try to figure out ways I could possibly convince my boss it would be worth budgeting for coffee and breakfast for the people who work the opening shift. Does a muffin basket really seem over the top for two people you rely on so heavily to greet the world and be the face of your business at this ungodly hour? At least the poor coffee shop workers, with whom I commiserate deeply, are able to make themselves a cup first thing. I think something that has been lost in the American workplace is the employer's sense of responsibility over the well-being of his employees. We spend over half of hour lives at work. Why shouldn't it be as comfortable as possible. Granted, I know work is work, but I don't think I'm the first voice to say that happy workers are productive workers. One of my good professor friends absolutely maintains one cannot accomplish anything of greater worth if basic needs are not met. I think more than a few people know my limited capacity to be friendly under conditions of low blood sugar and no caffeine. I'm really sorry, I'm just not functioning without those two things. How many people actually do function to their full potential without food first?
The American "deal with it" mentality doesn't really make sense. We are painfully behind the times in things like reasonable vacation time, maternity leave, and even lunch breaks. You know, why do preschoolers get a nap? Seriously, they don't want one. That's just a parents way of giving themselves free time. OK, well maybe the kiddies need it, but we don't STOP needing it after the age of 4. I NEED A NAPTIME! How many people do you know who would turn down the option for a naptime during the day as long as they didn't have to give up something like food? By the way, a 30minute lunch break is a joke. That was an invention of someone who never was forced to eat in 30 minutes. How much can a person really accomplish in the other half of that hour that is spent chocking down the lunch that took the first half of the hour to acquire?

No comments:

Post a Comment