Friday, October 2, 2009

I am not a music snob.

Contrary to popular belief.

I was floored that one of my favorite, virtually unknown bands appeared on--wait for it--97.1, the New Orleans "premier" pop station. ARG, does this mean now that I'm not allowed to listen to Owl City for fear of ridiciule from my music snob friends who already think less of me for enjoying admittedly mundane and overdone pop music sometimes? NOT SO. I once heard an interview with Jack White of the White Stripes on NPR who reacted rather negatively and disbelievingly that so many of his fans dropped him once he became popular. Like, how dare you MAKE IT? How dare you break out of my cool inde music circle and somehow become appealing to more than 20 people? You sold out.
I'm hear to say that I will not be abandoning music that I like because other people think its cool to do so--abandon it, that is. Isn't that just as ridiculous as liking music because other people think its cool instead of making up your own mind?!

2 comments:

  1. i'm with you! thats why i still like miley cyrus... who cares if she leads a double life and has a show on disney channel. she is still such a great musician. puke.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha...well contrived, manufacturing musicians aside..umm. yeah. Well, not to turn this into a Miley Cyrus bash fest--I can still enjoy Party in the USA knowing full well that it's not "good music." Listening to most pop is kind of like eating fast food. You don't want to eat it all the time unless you have a thing for becoming obese.

    ReplyDelete