Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Does it scare you how well I know you?

I think it definitely freaks people out that I can predict almost perfectly the names and needs of the members who come into work in the morning. This is not because I'm special or necessarily very smart. I just work amongst the most predictable creatures of habit on the planet. I recognize voices on the phone so they wonder why I don't ask for their child's name every time they call for babysitting, just like they do every day. Or sometimes, not even every day...The same people need locks every day, so they don't even ask anymore. The same people train with the same trainers every day, so we may have a one-two word exchange---" Hey" or "training today"--- as I check them off for their 47th personal training session. I know who you are. I know who your trainer is." Sometimes I feel like I'm playing the game of Clue for about the 1000th time. For example, the solution could be :Therepist Q with Mr. T in the Co-Ed room, at 12:00pm, for 60 minutes. OR Miss M. with Mrs. P, in the pilates room, with...the REFORMER! Mr. S with his daughter H, in the babysitting room, 1 hour. It's way more fun to think of scheduling like it's a game. Otherwise, I might have offed myself out of sheer boredom by now. No, I'd start memorizing the digits of Pi before taking such drastic measures.

I just realized I probably shouldn't use "amongst" anymore. It took be forever as a kid to figure out why it was "amongst women" and not "among women" in the Hail Mary, and now I use it in regular speech. Sheesh.

No comments:

Post a Comment