Thursday, August 20, 2009

Public and Unsatisfactory Display of Competition

Last night, I went to balcony bar as part of my friends' "Wine Wednesdays" tradition and, perhaps because of recently increased stress levels, I started to get antsy almost immediately. My answer to this problem is very nearly always the same: Play a game...Last night I chose a new-to-me game called "I'd like you to meet my friend, Emily," which is QUITE fun, at least for me. Of course, last night, my friend wasn't having anything to do with the random guys I chose, the ones who just happened to be sitting next to us, so I end up striking up a random conversation. I found my out when one of them answered a text while I was talking--yay--but then he came back to apologize for his rudeness. I hadn't cared--really. The sad fact of the matter is (and I know how evil this is), he was just a part of my own entertainment and competitive nature. I was just trying to see if I could get random strangers to talk and be interesting. Well...I did get them to talk, so I'll consider that my little victory for the evening. It would have been a bonus, maybe even nice, if they had actually turned out to be cool or even engaging, which they didn't. I tried exceedingly hard to pay attention to our conversation, to make them feel good and amusing. Sadly, I got bored again. Maybe it's because the competition was too easily won...or probably because there was no competition at all. ARG. How unsatisfying.

No comments:

Post a Comment