Monday, August 17, 2009

Pupusas and Purpose

Actually, this post has nothing to do with either Pupusas or Purpose. I just liked the alliteration, although I did consume two delicious pupusas with great purpose--and gusto for that matter!!-- this evening at dinner with my family. Wouldn't that make a great short story title? Moving on....

I heard a song on the radio this evening and I was taken with a song that said, "L-o-v-e is just another word I never learned how to pronounce. " HOW TRUE! Normally listening to 97.1 is like a fast food binge/trip to Walmart--which, by the way, I have NOT done in a very, very long time thank you very much---, but eeevery once in a while I find something worth analyzing. This song kind of reminded me of the dating shows I bashed in an earlier post: On the surface, the song I heard is just the same kind of sickly gratifying tune with a catchy beat, club-tastic synths and lyrics like "See-through, leather, tube top, makes me wanna....." you get the picture. The singer is warning his pretty quarry that he'll never say the word "love" because he doesn't even know what it means. I don't remember what he says after that, but I found it to be a remarkably honest thing to say. The song also reminds me scarily of the moral code of someone I met this summer... He's right, though! No one knows what love means but we all suspect love does not mean anything that takes place in the club scene. So we know what love is NOT. Sort of.

Anyway, I'm not sure where I'm going with this except to say that I intend on posing a very uncomfortable question to unsuspecting individuals. What do you think LOVE is? I've never been a person with an agenda, but I'm afraid I just might have found one. It's all just intellectual fun, mind you.

No comments:

Post a Comment