Monday, August 24, 2009

Noches Latinas: The Saga Continues

Ok, maybe it's not a Saga. However, it has been a most excellent weekend of friends and the BEST FOOD EVER. Yesterday we cooked for a total 4 hours a lovely Cuban meal including Ropa Vieja, which requires the cooking and shredding of an entire roast, Maduros y Christianos--Black beans and Rice, but SO much more!---, and Tostones, which are twice-fried plantains, which you peel only under water and only after covering your hands with oil so they don't turn black--your hands, that is. Dearie me!!!

Honestly, this is only exacerbating my growing obsession with the Caribbean culture. Why are you so awesome?! I mean, what do I have to compare really? What is American culture anyway? I have this conversation occasionally, and no one can ever come up with anything that's worth repeating. I've come to the conclusion that because we have a sometimes diluted collective culture, we have developed little micro cultures in our cities, and sometimes in our states. We all know that New Yorkers are veeeery different that New Orleanians. But WHY? I can't seem to put my finger on it. Is it mentality, manners, work ethic, party-capacity...? And where we are different, should it be traced back to our heritage? Both were port cities filled with the Irish, Spanish, French...How did we and how do we develop our cultural norms and narrative?

No comments:

Post a Comment